Water damage requires fast action. ServiceMaster Recovery Services is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to contain commercial and residential emergency water damage. We are also capable of full clean-up and restoration after the emergency, as well. We will respond quickly when you call. In the interim, there are ways to minimize water damage yourself:
What to do:
- Damage from water and bacteria growth can begin within hours. Call for professional help. Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Remove wet area rugs or other floor coverings.
- Lift draperies off the floor, loop through a coat hanger and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
- Wipe furniture, prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying and place aluminum foil under furniture legs.
- Move photos, paintings and art objects to a safe, dry location.
- Do not remove books from shelves. Rather pack them tightly to prevent page warping until a restoration professional can begin this specialized drying.
- Open drawers, closets and cabinet doors to enhance drying.
What not to do:
- Do not enter a room with standing water until electricity has been turned off.
- Do not use a regular household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not lift tacked-down carpet without professional help.
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or flooring.
- Do not disturb visible mold.